"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

20 October 2011

On a "late" night drive to the grocery store...

I had to go back to the grocery store tonight after Brennan went to bed so that I could pick up Nich's meds and some cold medicine for both of us. I was a bit grumbly about this, as I'm still not feeling that great. Although, to be honest, since Brennan was born, I haven't liked leaving home at night. After dinner, I just want to clean up, veg, and go to bed.

But Nich has writing assignments due, and I knew the right thing would be to offer to go get the medicine so he could have longer to work.

We don't normally get Nich's meds at the grocery store pharmacy (because we have a CVS right down the street from our apartment), and we were a bit nervous that it was going to cost an exorbitant amount tonight. Thankfully, it ended up being the usual $4 co-pay, which was the first bit of good news.

Then, as I was wandering in the cold & flu aisle, looking for DayQuil (or the store's offbrand version of DayQuil) for Nich and Ricola drops, I noticed that our grocery store carries Tom's of Maine products! This is very good news, as I've been wanting to try their products. I haven't gone all crunchy with my lifestyle, but since pregnancy, I've become increasingly educated about the daily lifestyle choices I make and how they affect my family.

When I went to check out, my total for my entire purchase was 99 cents with a coupon! Woohoo!

I headed out of the store, a little giddy about only spending 99 cents for multiple items (this doesn't even happen at a yard sale for me!), a couple walked by me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the woman stop short. The man asked, "What's wrong?" and at first, I thought she responded, "My water just broke." I looked back, concerned, and waited to see if they needed any help. But as she just calmly fiddled with her hands, I realized she had said, "My wallet just broke." Phew!

Then, on my rainy drive home, I was speeding along at 45 mph by a horse pasture when the driver of an approaching car in the opposite lane flashed their lights at me. First, I wondered if I'd accidentally left my brights on, but then I slowed down, just in case it was a warning. Sure enough, a couple miles down the road, a cop was sitting under a tree on the side of the dark road.

I left the house a bit cranky, but I returned with good stories to share with my husband. It reminded me of when we were dating and how I would write down fun things that happened throughout the day on little Post-It notes and in the margins of my planner so I would remember to share with him during out nightly phone calls. I'm so thankful that instead of saying goodbye on the phone every night, I get to fall asleep right next to my best friend.

Off-topic, but just as good: Brennan slept nine hours straight last night, woke up for an early morning feeding (which coincided with when I had to get up to pump), and then slept an additional three hours. This is the best he's done yet, and I was incredibly thankful for the good rest for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment