"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

26 January 2013

Turtles, Crepes, H-Mart, & Small Animals

Back when B was a bad, bad, bad sleeper (the most sleep-deprived season of my life, counting sophomore year of college), we tried many, many, many techniques, tools, and gadgets.

One of the best (out of the few) items that we bought is the Cloud B Twilight Constellation Night Light. To be perfectly honest, I think we purchased this turtle because 1. N has a penchant for turtles and 2. he likes all things space. After all, his favorite job to date was working at Space Center Houston.

B didn't have a particular affinity for Turtle Moon until he got a little bit older. But as of a couple months ago (maybe because he really likes the classic book Goodnight, Moon by Margaret Wise Brown), he loves to point out the moon and stars ... in the sky, in pictures, in shapes.

Yesterday, he carried Turtle Moon around the house with him for a good portion of the day. Because it was overcast, once I closed all the curtains, it was dark enough in our hallway for him to play with the turtle's lights. The lights come in three settings: amber, blue, and green. B likes green the most, and amber is nice and dim for when we are singing songs and winding down at the end of the day. And the blue is just pretty.

This also gave me a good opportunity to sew up his curtains and finally get them hung up. Our house came with new blinds on all the windows (the nicer kind with the wide slats), but really, I'm just not into blinds. I like my curtains. We've kept the blinds up, because we figure they'll help keep out the heat in the summer, but I'll be glad to have curtains up to hide them some of the time.

On Saturday mornings, N is usually in charge of breakfast. Sometimes that means he and B make a run out to get doughnuts. Sometimes it means he makes very elaborate eggs.

Yesterday, though, I had said that I would make crepes, and although I made the ridiculous decision to stay up way past my bedtime last night (see below), I kept my promise. 

"So yummy!" proclaimed my boys.

It's so rewarding to be appreciated.

We had a quiet morning. N and B played with toys while I read my library book, and then we all took long naps.

This afternoon, we drove out to Carrollton to the H-Mart and saw more Korean people than we have seen in the past three years combined.

We also drank bubble tea, ate lots of samples (B enjoyed the fish cakes in particular), and were pretty much overwhelmed at the thought that we have all this Korean food and ingredients available to us just half an hour (and some tolls) from our house. Overwhelmed in a good way.

Here's our loot from today:
And finally, I wanted to share a couple projects I've been working on. I made this first one as a sample for a contribution I'm making to a local small business giveaway.
B loves doggies, even ones that bark ridiculously at us through the fences around their yards as we walk by on our way to the playground. He will point through the fences, delighted, and call out, "Doggies! Loud doggies!" When he saw his new hat this morning, he said, "Wa-oooo! Doggie hat!"

I follow Bunny Mummy's blog, and she makes these adorable little owls. I had left my laptop screen up recently, and B was quite taken with her colorful little flock of birdies. I decided to whip up one for him to hang on his doorknob.
I think it turned out quite adorably, don't you?

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment