"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

25 November 2009

"If your feet are cemented..."

I just read my friend Clara's most recent newsletter, and she quoted Jim Cymbala of Brooklyn Tabernacle as saying, "If your feet are cemented, God can't use you."

I'm not entirely sure why I loved this so much, but I did. I dearly hope that every time God calls, I can say, "Here I am, Lord. Send me." One of the things I struggle with most in life is staying put. I've been itching to move away from this area for a long time; the irony is that I've only been here since the summer of 2007! I know that being "sent" by God doesn't always mean being moved geographically. Sometimes, being "sent" means answering His call to serve in the very community in which I live. Right here.

There are no words for me to describe the encouragement and inspiration I feel when I read my friends' thoughts as they strive to serve God and our world as best as they can, all over the world, whether they are career missionaries or simply loving followers of Christ.

So ... are your feet too firmly cemented for God to use you?

No comments:

Post a Comment