"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

13 November 2009

One down, one to go!

The office is all painted! Woohoo! I didn't realize how long it would take to do it, especially since I'm the only one home during the day to paint. But it's all done now, and we put together Nich's desk last night (which was a feat in itself - the thing's quite large).

This morning, I cleaned in there and unpacked boxes and boxes of books. It's like Christmas! :~)

I've primed the trim in our bedroom, but I need Nich's help with moving furniture out of the way. Therefore, I'm taking a break from that for now.

Speaking of Christmas, I'm very excited to decorate our home and put up our little tree. We've agreed to do only one present each plus stocking stuffers this year, which makes me a little bit sad, because I just love Christmas and wrapping gifts and giving. But not only are we trying to be more frugal with our budget (which is hard when you're already pretty responsible), we also want to be able to contribute to various holiday giving opportunities, like Operation Christmas Child and our church's Giving Tree. And you know that there will be those silly events like white elephant gift exchanges and Secret Santas here and there.

Our Christmas cards are almost done, too. I've addressed all the envelopes, and I just need to find the box in which the stamps were packed away. We're not mailing out a newsy letter this year. Not only did I feel a bit convicted about how much paper that uses up (our Christmas mailing list is close to 200), but it also cost a lot to print all of them. So this year, we're just sending cards, and I've been working a version of the newsletter to send out via email for anyone who wants it.

Tonight, we're having our annual Thanksgiving dinner with our teen community group, which is always wonderful. I'm making my friend Jess' maple sweet potatoes, which are absolutely yummy and relatively healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment