"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

24 July 2010

Beginning to Understand Anti-Jock Sentiments in America

Coming from the rather un-dramatic high school background I do, I've had a hard time really comprehending the "anti-jock" mentality that a lot of people who weren't jocks in high school have.

Today, I caught a glimpse of the reasons behind those feelings.

I was walking from my car into the mall for work this morning. There was a group of teenage boys running on the sidewalk that goes around the perimeter of the mall - it looked like it was a sports team. I didn't think twice about it, since they were a little ways off. Another lady and I stepped onto the sidewalk to get in the doors to the mall. As the first pair passed us, one of the boys snapped rudely, "Way to cut us off, why don't you?" at us. The other one laughed uproariously, like his friend had delivered the punch line to the funniest joke in the world.

Needless to say, I was irritated and a bit perplexed at how some children think the world is their own and everyone else needs to cater to them.

I reported them to mall security before going in to work.

Then I felt better.

1 comment: