"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

02 July 2010

Inconsistent, I know

Good heavens, it has been nearly a month since I posted here. I'm going to try to get on here at least once a month, though, I promise.

Since my last post...

Well, I'm home.

I had a revelation in the last week of my time in Korea. One of my aunts asked me if I missed my mom more or Nich more. I refrained from answering - I mean, who knows how my answer would incriminate me in the future? Honestly though, after many years of feeling a bit "homeless", especially after my parents downsized from the house I lived in while in Cameroon to an apartment, I have found that "home" for me is where Nich is. The two weeks that we were apart were MUCH harder than either of us had anticipated, and it was so, so, so good to see him drive up to the airport last Wednesday night.

Speaking of the airport, my flight to Albany from Minneapolis/St. Paul was FIFTY minutes ... EARLY. How crazy is that? That never happens.

The week since I've been home has been a bit of a roller coaster. The weekend was packed to the brim with graduation parties. We also launched a 20Somethings ministry at our church, so that's been keeping us busy, what with communicating with people, fielding phone calls that have come our way, organizing this week's meeting. Thankfully (and a bit sadly), this was our last year leading a teen community group, so we have a bit more time to focus on this new ministry. We had 20 people in attendance last week, which was AMAZING, and we've had at least four more people express interest this week. So exciting!

I was back to work on Monday night at BBW. On Tuesday, we had a LONG photoshoot modeling for a friend who is a wedding photographer and wanted to add to her portfolio. That part was fine, but there was a videographer who came along who was quite bossy. And quite inconsiderate of our time and daylight hours. And there was a hairdresser who couldn't seem to talk and work at the same time, resulting in a hair/make up session that was twice as long as necessary and a burned cheek on my part from a curling iron.

On Wednesday, we had a parent-chaperone meeting for the upcoming nationwide youth conference next week. I'm starting to wonder how sane Nich and I were when we were thinking through this summer's schedule. We both have great kids in our rooms, though, so it shouldn't be too draining of a week. I hope. You can pray for us.

Yesterday was crazy. I had my first physical in over a year. I'm notoriously bad about going to the doctor, probably because we never did in Cameroon while I was growing up. I'm relatively healthy, so unless I have to, I don't go. The last time I had a physical was when I had to for my visa. Before that, it had been two years (since grad school where it was free). Anyway, I'm fine. We then had to drop off Nich's Subaru at the mechanic to be worked on, because the transmission has been gimpy. Then we had to drive the Civic over to a friend's to be test-driven. Speaking of, if you know of anyone who wants to buy a sporty little Civic Si, please please please let them know we have one! It's a terrific car.

Needless to say, I'm still a bit tired. Thankfully, today, there is NOTHING on the calendar besides the few phone calls I had to make this morning. So now, I'm hanging out with Nich's laptop (mine apparently has a virus on it that sent out a mass email to everyone on my contact list, so if you got a funny link, mark it as SPAM) with my bowl of pasta and chicken with peanut sauce, catching up on blogging and reading friends' blogs. I might venture outside, but I've been convicted more lately about taking care of my skin, which means I feel guilty sitting out in the sun without being slathered in sunscreen. And sunscreen makes me feel sticky. So then I don't go outside as much.

1 comment:

  1. in response to your comment that i JUST saw, yes I really love Forgotten God. Kevin's read Crazy Love, but i have yet to read it.

    ReplyDelete