"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

24 September 2010

"Health Nuts Are Going to Feel Stupid Someday..."

"... lying in hospitals dying of nothing." 


I read that quote this morning and it made me laugh.  

Last night was miserable with my cold - my nose just ran and ran and ran all night long, and because it was so stuffy, I had to breathe through my mouth, which hurt my sore throat. Add indigestion to the mix (not sure if that was pregnancy related or simply because I'm not feeling well), and it was just a long night of not-so-much-sleep. 


I called in sick as soon as the sub registry office was open, then decided to stay up while Nich got ready for work, which is always entertaining. He has recently discovered a subgenre of music called "nerd core" with artists with names like MC Frontalot and Optimus Rhymne. He listens to it while going through his morning routine. It's quite amusing.


Here are some other tidbits I found this morning that I liked.


What linguistic genius
set up the sneeze and wheeze
To rhyme so very perfectly
with the word for allergies?
~Charlie N. Abbers


The best six doctors anywhere
And no one can deny it
Are sunshine, water, rest, and air
Exercise and diet.
These six will gladly you attend
If only you are willing
Your mind they'll ease
Your will they'll mend
And charge you not a shilling.
~Nursery rhyme quoted by Wayne Fields, What the River Knows, 1990


That last one I liked because it has a similar tone as Louisa May Alcott's writing. She will always be one of my favorite writers.

On an unrelated note, I just checked my blog stats, and I want to know how there are already seven page views for my blog when it's not even seven in the morning yet. I don't have that many friends who read my blog who are in time zones across the Atlantic!


To close, for the amusement of other nerds out there, please read this for your entertainment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment