"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

05 October 2010

Books at My Bedside

Here is what's on it currently:

- Stepping Up: A Journey Through the Psalms of Ascent (personal Bible study)
- My journal
- Here and Now, There and Then (Ladies' Bible study)
- The Poor Will Be Glad
- Emotionally Healthy Spirituality (this year's all-church/community group study)
- Forgotten God
- Becoming Jane Austen (a bit dry)
- What to Expect When You're Expecting
- Teach Your Baby to Sign
- The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy
- The Complete Organic Pregnancy

What's on your shelf?

7 comments:

  1. you must be one busy bee with all that reading. i feel accomplished juggling my daily Bible readings and one other book. i guess you better enjoy it now before the little boy comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my reading shelf?
    "Raising Eternity's Child"
    "The Cost of Discipleship"
    "Breaking Free" (ladies Bible study)
    "Life is a Vapor" (John Piper devotional"

    What I wish would be on it...
    (but we are on a spending fast so I can't buy them)
    "The Poor Will be Glad"
    "Radical" (David Platt..about disengaging the american dream from christianity)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nisa: On the contrary. I've heard from several of my friends that reading is the one past-time they've been able to continue with babies. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well i guess when mommy-hood comes i can catch up on the books ive been missing. i know nursing is supposed to be a great reading time. i just wish college hadnt burned me out with reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I don't know. Maybe with one baby there's time to read, but compared to my devouring of books in high school, I hardly ever touch books now - maybe 1 every few months! And then the only time I find to read is in the middle of the night, so then I get over tired, so I don't pick up another book for ages! On the plus side, though, this level of business won't hit you for several years and once you've had a kid or two more. When it was just Aislinn I had TONS more time than now (If only I had appreciated it then....sigh. :)

    I'd also recommend The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding - to add to your pregnancy/baby books. :)

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan: I think a friend of mine was going to see if she could finish that book in time to send it to me so I could read it, too. :~) On a different note, I miss you! NC is much too far away from NY!

    ReplyDelete