"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

10 January 2011

Sunrise, Sunset ... and Showers of Love

When Nich and I first started dating, we had a conversation about which are more beautiful, sunrises or sunsets. He was in favor of the former. I, on the other hand, have always enjoyed the "quieting down" that sunsets signify.

I've seen a fair number of gorgeous sunrises lately from my bedroom window, and if we had that same discussion now, I'm not sure that I would be so definite in my answer anymore. The sunrises we've had lately have been breathtakingly beautiful, and I'm sort of* kicking myself for not going out to take a picture, especially this morning. There's something lovely about the effect of the sun coming up behind the dark silhouettes of the trees down the streets of the neighborhood, reflecting color and light off the wispy clouds, the snow-covered rooftops with the steam coming out of the chimneys, the stillness of winter mornings...

We are now less than a month away from our due date, and only a week away from being "full term." Although there are a few other things that we need before our little boy makes his appearance, I'm getting more prepared for his arrival. All his NB and 0-3 M clothes are washed and mostly put away, I finished stitching up his curtain over the weekend and it's hanging up in the nursery, and we ordered his crib (thanks to my parents!). We have a friend who is an incredible seamstress (who is making us a sailboat baby quilt using a pattern called "Ahoy Matey" which is just adorable and perfect for Baby G), and she's going to help me make cushion covers for my rocking chair and a crib sheet, so that will be ready in the next couple weeks.

A sweet friend told me that there is a box coming in the mail this week with a gift for Baby G, which is always exciting. We've been very blessed to have experienced the generous love of friends here where we live but also to be "showered" with gifts from friends who live far away, too. I hope that as life gets busier with a baby, I will still remember to love on our friends who live farther away, because it has meant a lot to us during this transition season to feel loved and supported through these lovely gifts that arrive on our doorstep.

In a way, it's like having a surrogate family, which means more to us than we could ever put into words, as my parents are far away (thank goodness for Skype - we get to talk to them fairly regularly and my mom has enjoyed seeing my belly grow) and I guess we're just not close enough to Nich's family to really be "on the radar" with them (it seems like it's pretty much out of sight, out of mind with them). There have been times when both of us have felt kind of sad about the two of us not having a close-knit family support system, but then I am reminded that we really aren't on an island, and that we're surrounded by a lot of beautiful souls who love on us well.

Here are some pictures from our showers here. I wish I had taken a picture of the boxes that came from our "long distance" shower friends!

*Only sort of because it's cold out there, and there isn't much that justifies freezing your hiney off before seven in the morning.
The women in my fall Bible study group held a party in honor of Baby G.

A car full of gifts after our "here" shower (as opposed our "long distance" shower, where some of my dear college friends sent us gifts via mail :))
An outfit for Baby G
Beautiful friends who planned and hosted our baby shower here

1 comment:

  1. Matt and I still need to send you guys a gift. Let me know if there is anything that is on your "wishlist" that you guys have not recieved yet. i hope and pray that this last month is peaceful and draws you closer to each other. and that those who truly love you will continue to surround you, no matter how far away they are.

    ReplyDelete