"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

21 March 2011

Mondays...

Mondays are overwhelming for me. I get used to having Nich home over the weekend, and even if he isn't home 24/7 during those two days, it's so much easier to have him here to help me take care of Brennan, to talk to, and free me up to take care of other things around the house.

I'm finding that motherhood is definitely something that you can't understand until you go through it yourself; the joys and challenges are so much more REAL than I ever comprehended.

All that to say, I'm having an especially rough morning today. I have moments of, "I can't do this. I need help" and then I realize, I have to do this. I'm the only one who can. Maybe that realization should "empower" me, but for now, it's just scary and makes me feel helpless. I know I CAN do this; it's just hard sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how many times over the last (almost) 10 months the phrase, "poor kid thinks I'm his mother" has come to mind. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Monday mornings generally are not my favorite times, especially rainy ones, and ones preceded by one of those "jack-in-the-box" nights (one child with bad dreams, one with an aching leg, one with a troublesome cough. And one slept through the night, glory be!) You do get used to the idea of nobody-else-is-going-to-do-it-so-I-may-as-well-just-do-it.
    I know you're a great mom, Hannah! I wish I could see you "in action!"

    ReplyDelete