"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

14 March 2011

More Good Things

I know women say that giving birth is the hardest thing they've ever done, but I don't know what they're talking about. Parenting a newborn is undeniably the most difficult thing I've ever done, and I had a long and challenging labor/delivery. But there are so many good things that balance out the hard stuff, and I try to keep those blessings in mind. Plus, Brennan's so darn CUTE. :~)

So, today's list:

- I like my Moby wrap. Better still, Brennan seems to like it, although I don't know how much longer he can last in the newborn hold.
- I'm thankful for talented friends with skills I lack. I want one of these, but I don't know where to buy one, as we have no Koreatown here in Whiteville, USA. I may just have to ask my friend Jill (who helped me make my rocking chair cushions and is kindly making Brennan a beautiful sailboat quilt) to help me sew one.
- Brennan's growing by leaps and bounds ... length-wise. He's still not back up to his birth weight yet, but he has lengthened a whopping inch and a half since birth. How Nich and I made a long, skinny baby, I don't know. Hopefully, he'll start fattening up soon.
- I love watching Brennan sleep. When we're holding him while he's sleeping, he'll often tuck his head into the crook of our elbows, almost as if he's trying to block the light out. It's so stinkin' cute.
- I've started showering in the evenings, mostly because it's easier to do when Nich's home. That way, I can take my time instead of rushing through it "just in case." It's a really nice way to decompress. That said, I've been able to shower EVERY DAY since we've been home from the hospital. Apparently, that is a small miracle.
- Nich loved the hour-long massage I got for him as a thank you for being a great husband/father last week.
- The weather is finally warming up, and there is NO SNOW in the forecast for the next 10 days. I'm hoping this means we've had all the snow we're going to get and that spring is coming. I really look forward to spending more time outdoors with Brennan.
- We're still getting occasional meals, which is SO helpful. It'll be nice if it lasts until I'm brave enough to take Brennan to WalMart (ewww ... the germs) for groceries. For now, we've been getting necessities at the Hannaford around the corner, but things are so much more price-y there.
- Fenugreek tea isn't bad. I didn't even need sweetener in it. Although, what Nich got is called "Organic Mother's Milk Tea," and just has fenugreek as one of the main ingredients, so maybe I shouldn't speak so soon.
- This Sunday marks 4 weeks (1 month) for Brennan, which means I'll get to start taking him places where there are more people ... like Bible study. I'm still hesitant about taking him to VERY public, indoor places, though ... like WalMart.
- I've read a book and a half this week.
- Borders is Saratoga is closing. Brennan and I are going to go check it out later this week to see if there are any good baby/kids books on sale. If we have time, we may look for grown up books, too.
- Skype is a wonderful thing, and I love that my mom says she misses Brennan. :~)
- In about a month, we'll get a visit from my "little sister" Julie who I know from Cameroon.
- In about two months, we get to see some of my dearest college friends and their kids.
- Our chiropractor checked out Brennan's spine, and he's perfectly aligned. How he managed that through three hours of me pushing, I have no idea, but I'm thankful!
- Sometimes, when it's time for Brennan to eat, he's so enthusiastic about it that he makes these snorting noises as he's rooting. He sounds just like a little piglet, and it makes us laugh.
- Baby skin is just so SOFT and nuzzle-able. 

No comments:

Post a Comment