"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

19 October 2011

The Face of Christ

Sometimes, after writing a blog post about the trials of life, I end up feeling guilty. I find myself looking for something good worth writing about, as though I need to maintain some sort of balance between the good and the challenging.

So a list of "goods":
- I've been sick again with another blasted cold, but thankfully, neither Nich nor Brennan have caught it yet.
- Fingerprinting at the USCIS office went smoothly this morning. Everyone with whom we interacted was very cordial and friendly, they took my fingerprints and photograph efficiently, and we were out of there within fifteen minutes.
- Brennan's fall from his crib has resulted in a black eye, but he's fine otherwise. I shudder every time I think of him falling, and I am so grateful that he wasn't hurt worse.
- My ladies' Bible study discussion group leader called to see how I was doing this morning, because I had missed the study yesterday (I was subbing). This is the first time this has happened in the five years we have been part of our church. I can't tell you how much that meant to me, that she made a little bit of time to call and check up on me.
- Two "far away" friends have blessed my heart tremendously since my last blog post.

Lastly, I just finished reading Heaven is for Real two days ago, and since then, I haven't been able to stop thinking about Jesus. I'm not normally into these feel-good type stories about supernatural experiences, but there was something about this story that really touched my heart. For the past two nights, as I sit in the rocking chair in Brennan's room, nursing him in the semi-dark, I think about how Colton told his parents how Jesus had the prettiest eyes and how he recognized Jesus in Akiane's "Prince of Peace" painting.

And as I lay my drowsy baby in his crib, I pray for Jesus of the beautiful, kind eyes and the incredibly huge heart for children, to watch over him in his sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment