"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

21 November 2011

What Do You Blame It On after Pregnancy?

I don't know if there is any scientific evidence for "pregnancy brain," but I sure got it. If you know me personally, you know I'm a very organized individual. In fact, some may mistake it for OCD (I don't have it). I do, however, have the spiritual gift of administration and the good sense of organization that accompanies it.

Anyway, back to that pregnancy brain. What do you call it when you're not pregnant anymore? It has been nine months since I gave birth, and I swear, I still don't have my complete wits about me yet. Do they ever come back fully?

I'll give you a couple examples, both of which happened on Sunday. This will just prove that I am not afraid of a little bit of humiliation for the sake of a good story. ;~)

Brennan has been sleeping in until eight o'clock once in a while, and Sunday morning was (blissfully) one of those days. Needless to say, Nich and I took advantage of that and slept in as well. This pushed back our morning routine a little bit, and I ended up being a little bit rushed as I got ready for church.

As we started driving down the road, a sinking feeling came over me.

H: "Um, honey?"
N: "Yeah?"
H: "I don't think I ever brushed my teeth."

Seriously. How does that happen? This is how: I was brushing my hair when Brennan came crawling into the bathroom. In my effort to keep him from overturning the trash can, emptying said trash can, diving into the toilet bowl, exploring the shower stall, I completely forgot that I hadn't yet brushed my teeth and quickly got out of the bathroom. Of course, neither of us chew gum on a regular basis so we didn't have any on us. I just decided that people would just have to suck it up or not talk to me.

Church was fine, although I did have a teary moment with a couple friends as we chatted. Afterward, we debated on whether to watch the town Christmas parade or not, but decided against it, since Brennan was overly tired (from not getting a nap in before church). We came home, Nich stayed in the car with Brennan sleeping in the car seat, I got out to start lunch, and a sinking feeling came over me as I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the car window.

H, mouthing into the car: "Why didn't you TELL me?!"
N: "I didn't notice!"

I had completely forgotten to put on a camisole under my green sweater - and over my WHITE bra. Needless to say, you could see my skin and the bra clearly through the holes of the sweater. I distinctly remember standing in the closet, debating on what color camisole to wear. I got distracted by the thought that I needed to get Brennan dressed, and apparently, never came back to finish dressing myself.

Ah, well. At least I was holding Brennan most of the time I was talking to anyone, and he was dressed adorably. Hopefully, what they all say is true and everyone was looking at the baby and not me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment