"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

14 February 2012

In Lieu of a Card...

Dear Hannah,


I woke up this morning feeling the lingering sugar buzz of the heart shaped cookies we had for a midnight snack and I smiled a little. I really enjoy our occasional midnight snacks, because it’s a clear reminder that while our life isn’t always filled with romance, it is always filled with love and friendship. It reminds me of what kids do when they spend the night over with a best friend. When we’re exhausted, or Brennan is having a rough night, and romance isn’t even conceivable, I know I’m sharing the most important years of my life with my best friend.


Loving you means that you’re the only friend with whom I love doing everything. Watching movies with you in bed, walking together on a beach, and dancing at weddings are some of my favorite past times, but I’d never dance if it wasn’t for you. You bring out the best in me.


Even though we have those moments of grumbling that are no fun, there’s nothing that feels better than holding you closely and saying, “I’m sorry.” Nothing bad can linger for very long before just looking at you makes me want to smile again. You are my sunshine.


I’m blessed to be married to my best friend. I’m excited that we have a whole lifetime together to make more romantic memories, and to have fun well into old age. I love you always, my forever friend. Happy Valentine's Day.


Your husband and friend,


Nicholas

1 comment: