"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

02 March 2012

Being Intentional

"One of the things that Sally Clarkson said that really stuck with me was, "You are the Bible your children are reading." This reminds me that it's not what I say but rather what I do. I can tell her how important Jesus is to me but if it's my iphone that I'm spending the majority of my day with that's what she is going to remember.  I need to be reminded that everything I do is being watched, absorbed and lived out by the little people in this house. I need God's grace daily. It's only by him and through him that I can live each day with intention and purpose."  - The Farmer's Nest

This - and because I am accountable to God - is why I make (although, sometimes unwillingly - I mean, let's be honest :~)) the choices that I do:

- I don't turn on the TV during the day. In fact, it's easy for weeks to go by without us turning on the TV at all.
- I read to B every day. Whether it's just a Bible story at bedtime or several books throughout the day, we read books.
- I make most of the food that B (and we) eat from fresh or frozen ingredients.
- I pray aloud. I want B to grow up being in conversation with God.
- I stay at home, even though it means that affording daily necessities is hard and small luxuries are rare. The benefits for B far outweigh the comfort that extra finances would bring.
- I learn. It keeps me sane, and I want to model being a lifelong student to my child(ren).
- I sing ... and dance. Life is full of joy. I want B to know that no matter what, God is good and faithful.
What do you do intentionally because you have a captive audience?

Photo Credits:
1. Children Are Sponges.
2. Be Intentional.

No comments:

Post a Comment