"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

14 March 2012

Offering Incentives

Remember how I botched up the frosting for Little B's birthday cake last month? Well, if you know me at all, you know that I'm definitely of the "Waste not, want not" camp. I put that messed-up frosting in a container and refrigerated it for later use.

The perfect opportunity came when I decided to make homemade cinnamon rolls. The timing of that decision was a little precarious for our waistlines, since I had just baked chocolate chip scones the morning before. I don't bake often, though, so I figured it was okay.

Just this once.

Then I remembered that it was Monday night and that I would have Bible study the next morning. I decided to make a double batch. I posted a picture on FB that night, telling all my Bible study ladies that it was an incentive for them to make sure they showed up the next morning. (My discussion group leader joked the next day that I had been "posting pictures of sin on the internet.")

I learned something important that night.

I am too short to effectively roll out dough on our counter top. I don't know how this fact has escaped me for the past year, since I've made pies and rolls several times since we've lived here.

Anyway, here are some pictures for you to enjoy. The hubster needs a haircut in the worst way. Everyone keeps telling him he looks like he's twelve, and we can't have that.
See those strange-looking, smashed pastries in the bottom corner of the pan on the right? I claim no responsibility for those.
Nich's fingers in the frosting bowl. Tsk, tsk.

No comments:

Post a Comment