"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

30 March 2012

When Things Don't Go As Planned...

For about a week now, I've had a blog post all planned out. I even took the perfect pictures to accompany it.

But the weather was so glorious last week.

And I've been crocheting squares like crazy for the swap I'm participating in.

There were mounds of dishes.

And laundry.

Little B didn't sleep well at all on Tuesday night, which is my Alone At Home night (well, except for Little B, of course).

Then yesterday morning, I didn't clean off my nightstand before Little B woke up. He got hold of my camera, dragged it out to the kitchen and let it THUMP on the floor.

And all my pictures from this past month are gone.

Sniff.

Those of you who know me probably know that I hardly have any baby pictures of myself, but those who haven't heard the story: When I was almost two years old, we moved from Korea to Africa. My mom put all my pictures into albums and sent them to Korea to my grandparents for safekeeping (at the time, she didn't know that we would be living in Africa long-term and fully expected to return to Korea soon). The man who she entrusted those precious albums to ditched them along the way, because his luggage was over the weight limit! This is something that grieves my heart in a way that I can't really explain. There's just something about not knowing what you looked like as a baby ... I know that most of the world doesn't, that they go through life without ever having a picture taken. But it makes me sad.

But as my sweet husband reminded me this morning, "We still have the real deal" in Little B.

Nich's good at making lemonade out of life's lemons.

No comments:

Post a Comment