"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

25 July 2012

Teddy Gets Lasik & Channels Joe Cool

My husband isn't very attached to many people, places, or things. In some ways, I really like that about him. He's a homebody, and he genuinely enjoys spending evenings and weekends doing family things with me and Little B.

However.

There are a small handful of things to which he is QUITE attached.

Teddy is one of them. Teddy is an old, old, old stuffed bear that N has had since he was a baby. Teddy is worn, dingy (even though I've washed him several times), and patched up in multiple places. Teddy has one white eye (the "pupil" portion has long worn off) and a tiny piece of the other still attached. His little red tongue is barely hanging on, and his button nose is a replacement.

Teddy's in rough shape.

I've offered multiple times to put new eyes on Teddy, and N has flat out refused, saying that it would "change Teddy's character." He even said it would be better to just sew an eye patch on Teddy instead (as if that wouldn't change Teddy's character).

Yesterday, I was at WalMart to pick up a new zipper for a skirt I need to repair when I saw that there was a small bin of buttons on sale. I found a couple cute turtle ones that I couldn't resist and then I saw two perfectly round buttons, just the right size for Teddy's new eyes.

I texted Nich at work: "Would you be okay with Teddy getting Lasik today?"

A few minutes later, he responded (surprisingly), "Only if I can get Lasik, too. :)"

The smiley face told me it was a go.

The hysterical thing is, the combination of the way I stitched the buttons on and Teddy's little red tongue sticking out, Teddy kind of looks like "dead" cartoons. You know what I'm talking about, right? Like this.
But N really liked Teddy's new eyes. He even said that it reminded him of Joe Cool.
We love all things Snoopy in this household. For me, it traces back to a little black and white Snoopy that my grandpa got for me when I was a baby. Little B even has his own Snoopy that he sleeps with in his crib.

Anyway, I digress. Without further ado, here is the new and improved Teddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment