"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

21 August 2012

Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings

I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical about this recipe when I saw it this morning. I was searching for something I could make in the slow cooker, because I had two extra kids with me today, as well as a brunch and a doctor's appointment. With so much "extra" going on, I knew I needed to have a dinner plan that I could prepare during Little B's nap and be able to dish up when we got home from the doctor's.

My friend Lindsey has become an overnight blogging sensation, racking up daily posts, sponsors, followers, and giveaways galore.

I found this recipe on her site today.

The picture of the recipe skeeved me out a bit. I mean, what ARE those brown things floating at the top? There are no brown things in the ingredient list! But then I thought, "Hmmm, sounds similar to chicken pot pie. N really likes chicken pot pie. This might be worth a shot."

I made some changes, though, for a few reasons: I don't usually measure exactly, to make it a bit healthier, canned vegetables are disgusting, and because I didn't have refrigerated biscuit dough.

Here's what I did.

In a slow cooker, on high, for five hours:
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 T butter
- 1 10-oz can of cream of celery
- 1 can-full (I used the cream of celery can to measure) chicken broth
- 1/3 bag each frozen corn and peas
- 1 c sliced carrots
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 onion, diced
- dash of salt

Once everything was in the slow cooker, I made a ball of biscuit dough from scratch, floured it, and stored it in the refrigerator, wrapped in plastic wrap. Three hours later, I took it out and added it to the slow cooker by tearing off ping-pong ball-sized lumps.

It was yummy. Even my toddler, who was a tad off-kilter from getting shots this afternoon, ate a small bowlful.

2 comments: