"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

22 December 2012

Words, words, words & a DIY Project

The rapid pace of language development in babies and toddlers astounds me. I feel like within a month, B went from uttering a word at a time to speaking full, complex sentences with modifiers and all.

A few days ago, I was working on some of our wall hangings. I re-matted a cross-stitch my mom had done for Bubs, a picture of three bok-jumoni (traditional Korean "good luck" bags in which children receive money each new year).
Photo Credit
The next day, as we were changing his diaper, he pointed up to the wall where I had hung the framed cross-stitch and said, "Pweetty. Pweetty painting."
This is the first time I've heard him independently attribute an adjective to something.

Today, he specified that his bathroom was a "bath room" while the master bathroom was a "shower room" (because we don't have a tub in our bathroom).

Maybe it's because I'm a language teacher, but this is all so fascinating to me, and having the opportunity to observe it on a moment-to-moment basis with my own child makes it even better.

Speaking of which, thanks to my husband's fascination over the word "chifferobe," I learned a new word last night: portmanteau. You can thank me later for bringing your attention to such a fun word.

And before I get back to my most recent hooky project (I'll be sure to share a photo soon on here and at Hannah Plays Hooky), I want to share a up-cycling project I did a couple weeks ago.

These lovely classic old, brass frames were left to us by N's Momma.
We wanted to keep them (sentimental value and all that), but we didn't really want to use them to display any of our photos (sentimental value only goes so far).
I scrubbed the frames with soap and water and then dried them thoroughly with a rag. Using spray paint (I used a textured version by Rustoleum), I coated the frames with two layers, allowing for an hour of drying time in between.
Two of them are now hanging by the coat closet in our entryway, and the other two are gracing our mantle. They came out rather nicely, don't you think?

I especially like the reflection of the Christmas tree lights in the picture on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment