"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

28 January 2013

Sickies in the House

I hear the flu is particularly bad this year. We hear it everywhere we go, and when it involves most medical-types, they follow that up with, "You have had your flu shots this year."

It's not even a question. It's a statement heavily loaded with, "Only crazies wouldn't have gotten the flu shot."

Here's the thing.

I don't get sick often (*knock on wood*). I never have. That said, I have never gotten the flu shot. Not even when I was pregnant.

I am not an anti-medicine hippie. I believe that God gave humans intelligence to develop things like antibiotics, pain killers, and vaccinations. I also believe that God created our bodies with incredible immune systems, bodies with the ability to heal. I think we in the western world far underestimate the healing ability of our bodies. I also think we are terrifyingly over-drugged.

All this just to say that he has a bit of a cold and has slept terribly the past couple nights.* 

We didn't go to church yesterday, because we didn't want to expose other children to his germs and him to other people's germs.

I can't wait until we're settled into a church where people will notice when we're not there and call to make sure we're okay.

Well, I hear a little voice calling for me. If you think of us today, say a little prayer for healing. And that we'd find a church home soon.

*And before anyone gets all up in arms and judgmental, yes, Little B did get the flu shot this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment