"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

11 January 2013

Small Treasures

I spent the bulk of the day yesterday organizing what is to be our combination sewing/craft room and office. Originally, we had decided to have those two in separate rooms and have the craft room double as a guest room. But then we realized that if we were to purchase a futon or guest bed (we're saving up for one or the other), it would make most sense to put it in the same room as the T.V. (which sits in what we initially had planned to be the office). That wouldn't leave much room for Nich's desk. Also, whenever we have guests, he would be out of a study area. This isn't really a big deal now, but we could foresee it potentially being an issue once he begins taking classes again.

We decided that we can share and dedicate the extra room to being just a guest bedroom/entertainment room. We don't like having the T.V. in the living room, commanding center stage, so it'll be nice to have a separate room in which to watch movies, and this way, when we have guests staying with us, they'll have more room in there as well.

Anyway, as I was moving around items between the two closets and unpacking a few more boxes, I came across a few old journals. I found this little nugget I had jotted down a couple years ago:

Student #1: "Is your husband a doctor?"
Me: "No. Why?"
Student #1: "'Cause then you would be Dr. Mrs. Guillory."
Me: "Nope. I'd still be Mrs. Guillory."
Student #2: "Well, is he a dentist?"
Me (laughing): "No."
Student #2: "Well, you have very straight teeth."

Those are the kind of random moments that I miss about teaching, the funny little conversations with students.

Unrelated, when N came home from work last night, he had surprises for B and me.
Please forgive my workout attire. I was inspired yesterday (although I did my exercising in the bedroom).
I love that man.

No comments:

Post a Comment