"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

13 February 2013

A Titus 2 Tribute

I've been reading a lot of mothering/parenting books and blogs lately. Toddler-hood has been a huge dose of humility-inducing parental reality after the super-easy first year-and-a-half of motherhood.

(B is obviously a pretty laidback, well-behaved kid, so I probably shouldn't make it sound all "woe is me," but I know that anyone who has raised children know exactly what I'm talking about.)

Last night, as N and I were cleaning up in the kitchen together, we were talking about B and checking in with one another about how we were doing as parents. One thing we addressed specifically was about establishing the foundations for a God-honoring legacy in our family, because neither of us come from solid Christian homes. In some ways, we feel like we're flying blind, especially right now as we are in-between a community of support. I suppose that's why I feel this urgency to read and learn as much as I can from those who have made the effort to put their life lessons out there.

As we were chatting, it occurred to me that I really wouldn't know very many Christian children's songs had it not been for teaching three-and-a-half years of B.O.O.M. Club on Wednesday nights during college. B.O.O.M. Club was a preschool program at the local church centered around teaching little ones to memorize Scripture from an early age. Because I met Jesus when I was a teenager, I hadn't really ever heard the many songs that are oh-so-familiar to most of my Christian friends.

Until B.O.O.M. Club.

Two of B's all-time favorite night-time songs are "Deep and Wide" and "B-I-B-L-E," neither of which I had ever heard before B.O.O.M. Club.

I wanted to write this post as a thank you to Bev and Pam, the two beautiful women who were responsible for B.O.O.M. Club at the time, for giving me the privilege of serving the little ones of the community for those years. I thought then that I was giving of my heart and time, but really, I can see now that God was beginning to lay a foundation to prepare me for godly motherhood nearly a decade later.
Our first night home together
And now that I think about it, I don't even know how they led B.O.O.M. Club at the time, given that they were both young moms with multiple little ones running around.

Ladies, you are my heroes! Thank you for living out Titus 2:4-5 for all of us who had the joy of serving with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment