"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

26 February 2013

From Chinese New Year

I've wondered for a long time why it's "Chinese New Year," when it's celebrated throughout eastern Asia. Maybe because the Chinese were the first large group of Asian immigrants to America? Does anyone know? I would go look it up on Wikipedia myself, but I'm too drowsy right now after attending a MOMS event at church tonight where I learned all sorts of ways to be paranoid about someone abducting my kid and the rampant prevalence of drugs and sex amongst children.

At least the police officer doing the seminar was entertaining.

At any rate, that has nothing to do with what this post is about.

N and I were recently commenting that one of the things we love the most about living here is the cultural diversity that is available right at our fingertips. This area might not have the same opportunities as a booming metropolis, but it's so refreshing to regularly see and interact with people whose primary languages are something other than American, as well as people of various ethnicities. I could go for weeks without seeing a non-white person where we used to live (other than my own face in the mirror and my son). 

A couple Sundays ago, we went to a pretty terrific worship service that included hip hop dancing.

Which, by the way, in my opinion, far surpasses watching gyrating women doing "interpretive dancing" on stage any day all the while cringing in my seat and sneaking glances at my husband, who is averting his eyes and reading his Bible held in his lap so he doesn't have to watch thrusting pelvises and breasts in a church service.

Ahem. Where was I?

Oh, yes. So after church, we decided to stop at the Asian market plaza across the street and were delighted to find this going on:
 
Needless to say, a little Mr. Someone was absolutely thrilled with all the loud music ... and the dancing dragon.

2 comments:

  1. so glad you guys are in a community where you feel comfortable and at home. wonderful to hear that church is going well. that's weird about the interpretive dancers. and what is this seminar about? crazy times.

    ReplyDelete