"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

28 March 2013

Easter Baking Cont.: Hot Cross Buns for All!

I was too tired the other night to ice the hot cross buns, so I packed them away to cool overnight.
The next morning, B helped me put the finishing touches on the buns. I decided to use chocolate icing (because I had some leftover in the refrigerator and didn't want to bother making a new batch).
We have been delivering them here, there, and everywhere since then. A few came with us to B's "moozik cass" (music class) for his teacher and her kids. We took a couple over next door to "Missur Davin" (Mr. David) and "Mi Sher-wul" (Mrs. Sheryl), our terrific, retired neighbors who have been delighting B's little heart. I mean, what's not to like about neighbors who let little boys "help" weed the yard using a pretty nifty tool and pass out beautiful handmade gifts over the fence?

B looks at those crosses on the mantle each day, proclaiming, "Pee-tee cosses! Eassuh! Missur Davin nice!" (Pretty crosses! Easter!).

N took a batch of the buns for his team at work today. He said they have been favorable received. Of course, who would turn down homemade baked goods?

Today, Hannah Plays Hooky hosted the door prize at my moms group at church.
Triple-Layer Flower Hair Accessory
It was a great opportunity to share a bit of my heart for being a stay-at-home mom, as well as to promote my little hooky venture. The ladies were wonderful, and I received some enthusiastic compliments for my work. It looked like most of my business cards were picked up, and a couple moms said they would be contacting me for items. Woohoo!

Speaking of church, B and I are there several times throughout the week, with my weekly Bible study, bi-weekly moms group, church, and our FPU class. B enjoys having the time and opportunity to play with other kids, and he especially loves the church playground.

This week, I discovered that he has a new favorite thing:
The Bye-Bye Buggy is this large contraption that holds multiple small children. It's like a stroller on steroids. I had never seen anything like it until we went to the Texas State Fair last fall. The one at church is the double stroller version of the Bye Bye Buggy. I admire the person who pushes a class of toddlers who weigh 25-35 pounds each in that thing.

Anyway, B loves ... I repeat, LOVES ... that thing. It's the very first thing he tells me about when I pick him up from childcare. And he tells me (and Daddy) about it repeatedly throughout the rest of the day. I don't mind, because I love his enthusiasm.

You know what else I love? How absolutely wonderful most of the childcare volunteers are about our cloth diapers. And how genuinely friendly people are here (and I'm not just talking church people). And how inclusive they are! Oh, my word. N and I have mentioned this to one another multiple times in the past couple weeks, but we have been floored with just how nice people are. We've been invited to more events, nights out, and play dates in the past month than we can count, and we're NEW. A couple of the men from a community group we visited with our friends have made a point to call N once in a while, just to see how we're doing and settling in. It's not even about trying to get us to come to their church; they know it's too far for us. They're just reaching out.

I know that in a couple months, I might be bemoaning the Texas heat and hyperbolizing (no, that's not a real word) about how miserable it is outside, but right now, I'm kind of loving living in the South!

No comments:

Post a Comment