"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

29 July 2013

15 Gifts

3 Gifts on Vacation, at Home, in Relaxation ~
1. The laughter of my toddler and husband doing "yard work" outside my window
2. Being woken up by chubby little hands patting my face, saying, "Wake up, Mommy! Breakfast ready!"
3. Chocolate chip banana pancakes for breakfast, made by my husband with "help" from our toddler


3 Gifts of Sand ~
1. The swirled mixture of crimson, taupe, and ivory sand sitting in an engraved vase on our mantel, reminding us daily of the covenant we made *almost 5 years ago* to one another and with God
2. That He knows every.single.grain in the
whole, entire, blessed, broken world ... How can I even begin to doubt His capacity or ability to care for me and my most beloved ones?
3. Oh, that sheer, squishy pleasure of standing ankle-deep on the ocean shore, as the salty waves push sand in between my toes ... we live nowhere near the ocean now, and I so miss that sound, that feeling. There is something utterly blissful and soul-relieving about being by the ocean.


3 Gifts Understated ~
1. The Lord provides enough (must remember this more in my moments of panic).
2. Basic good health for our entire family. I keep being reminded that this is not to be taken for granted.
3. Having my very own Bible to read every day (I don't do it often enough).


3 Gifts in Jars ~
1. Hundreds of petals and memories saved from roses given to me by my husband when we were courting
2. Jars of homemade blackberry jam ready for gifting to friends, friends Abba "surprised" us with, just as my college roommate prayed for me when we fi
rst moved here, halfway across the country from our last home
3. Four shiny little Indian-head pennies sitting in a jar, a recent gift from a grandfatherly neighbor to our rambunctious little boy who loves "Mr. David" with abandon as only a toddler can


3 Gifts in Someone Older Than You ~
1. Perspective from a life longer lived, distance greater traveled, people loved and lost
2. Wisdom of a more grounded sort
3. Advice from a heart that is able to stand staunchly against the winds of worldly influence

No comments:

Post a Comment