"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

02 May 2014

Look-Alike

A few weeks ago, at my 6-week post-baby check up, Dr. P mentioned that A looked a lot like her daddy. I hear that a lot about both kids, and as B gets older, he really is resembling N increasingly. A friend recently asked if it bothers me that people always say that the kids look like their father (and not me), and honestly, it doesn't, for a few reasons.
First of all, the benefit of being the non-Caucasian person in our biracial family is that our kids obviously look Asian. So to some extent, they automatically look like me.

Secondly, as the weeks go by, more people have been commenting that A looks like me. I'm pretty convinced it's mostly due to her gaining weight and filling out. Even at my slimmest, I still had what I call my chipmunk cheeks.

But most importantly, I like hearing that my children look like their father, because it reminds me that we all look like God.

A long time ago, a high school friend dedicated "More Than You'll Ever Know" by Watermark to me. It is one of the highest compliments I have ever been paid to date, and I have never forgotten how much that meant to me. There is a line in that song that goes, "Something about just being with you, when I leave, I feel like I've been near God."

And isn't that, at the root of it all, the desire of our hearts? To look so much like Jesus that when people are around us, they feel like they've been with Him?

My husband is obviously not perfect, because he's human. But he is a loyal, steadfast, hardworking, kind son of God, and he strives to love Jesus.

I love that our kids look like him. I hope that someday, their hearts will look like his, too.

Because that means their hearts will look like Jesus.

Photo Credit: Bubble Pop Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment