"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

18 July 2014

Blueberry Week

Well, I think I've been poked, pricked, and prodded enough to last me a lifetime--or at least, until next year's round of doctors' visits.

I think Little Lady is beginning the teething process, as there have been copious amounts of drool, gnawing action, and uncharacteristic fussiness going on around here. She also didn't nap well today, and so by the time N got home (an hour later than usual, because he was making up for coming home early this week so I wouldn't have to take both kids to all my appointments), I was more than ready for a break. So once dinner was done, N took both kids to play in Little B's room so I could have a breather before the bedtime flurry.

Next thing I know, I hear lots and lots of giggling coming from Little Lady as her big brother plays on his "rockstar guitar." N brought them into our bedroom briefly so I could see B dancing and strumming his little plastic guitar, and A just laughed and laughed. She adores her brother; she smiles whenever he's around, and the more he performs, the more hilarious she thinks he is.

We have been experiencing some record lows this week here in the north Dallas area, which I'm LOVING. I wouldn't mind if this weather stuck around for a while, but I suppose I should just be grateful that we got it at all. Now if only all the mosquitoes would just go and die, because I made the horrible mistake of opening all the windows a couple days ago to enjoy the cool, fresh air and have been regretting it ever since. Those nasty, evil little buggers have been feasting on me and the children.

And yes, we have screens. With no visible holes.

Mosquitoes are evil.

The cool(er) weather has provided me with good baking temperatures (because really, who wants to turn on the oven in the middle of a Texan summer?), so I've taken advantage of it (and the abundance of blueberries I now have in my freezer).

On Monday, we had blueberries in our yogurt at breakfast. On Tuesday, I made blueberry pancakes with the aid of my trusty little helper. Typically, I make large batches of this pancake recipe by Homemade Mothering and keep it in the refrigerator. But it makes a lighter pancake, and I wanted something that would provide enough density to balance out the blueberries.

So, as I often do in these circumstances, I winged it.

And B ate them all up!

I also made some lemon blueberry muffins on Tuesday. I was working quickly to make them after dinner, so I didn't take the time to take photos, but by happenstance, N met with his mentor that night. And I had sent a little container of muffins with N. And his wife posted a photo of them the next morning. Yay, Lori!

Then, this afternoon, while Little Lady was refusing to fall asleep, I decided I needed something quick and easy to make for dinner. So I put her in the Ergo, and as she "sang" and growled (I think it's hysterical that she does that, especially because B never did), I made Crockpot Blueberry Crumble and ham & veggie omelettes. I used vegetables that B had picked on our adventure at a local community garden earlier this week. He was so proud that I was using them!

As a side note, when I told B we were having omelettes for dinner, he threw his hands up in the air in excitement and exclaimed, "Omelettes?! Omelettes are my FAVE-rit! They taste kind of yucky but they're good!"

I inquired what part was yucky and what part was good, and he replied, "The inside is the yucky part and the outside is the good part!" I'm assuming he is talking about the texture of the eggs, but regardless, he ate everything I served him on his plate.


It has been a long week, mostly because I've had a doctors' appointment every day except for today, so we haven't gotten to do hardly anything else or hang out with any friends. I'm so glad it's Friday!

Have a terrific weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment