"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

25 August 2014

A Preschool Prayer


Dear Jesus, friend of the littlest ones,

I pray that tomorrow will be a good day for my little boy, a good day to launch a great year.

Bless him with confidence and courage to always stand up for himself and to be a helper to others. Help him to really know that You are right there with him, even though his daddy and I can't be. Please help him not to be anxious, because You know him better than even we do, and You know the mixed emotions that are coursing through his spirit. Help him to shine Your love in his classroom. Help him remember to be a bucket filler. Please protect his heart from unkindness and shield his cheerful, fun-loving spirit.  

I pray that he would love his teachers, Abba. I pray that he has That Special Feeling about them, the sort that prompted him to wink at the elderly lady in the wheelchair cart at the grocery store today. I'm pretty sure that prompting comes from you. I pray that they would love him back. I'd like to believe that both of his teachers have been doing this for so many years because they genuinely love little ones. Please grow a love in their hearts for our B. I pray that they know and love You, Abba, and that they are teachers because of that love.

May he make good choices, Jesus. Give him wisdom as he chooses buddies. I pray for one especially good friend, one whose parents also tell them about You and what You did for us.

And Abba, help us to let go where we need to, to praise and encourage meaningfully, to be the parents that You meant for us to be for B. Thank you for the privilege of raising this little man. Help us to always turn to You for wisdom and discernment as we embark on this new adventure. This letting go business is HARD, Jesus. I know that this is just one small first step in preparation of his leaving the nest when he's older. Help me to be the mom You want me to be for B.
May this preschool experience be one that lays a foundation for B to become a lover of school, of learning, and help us to always foster that love.

I pray that you would please help B to remember the practical things, too. You know. To eat all his lunch. Because You know how I had to repack it tonight, because he told me during our cuddle time that he had changed his mind about what he wanted. Help him to remember how we practiced eating his "main meal" first, before any fruits, cheese, yogurt or other "extras," because his preschool has rules about that sort of thing.
Please help him to remember to drink enough water, to remember to put down the potty seat, to wash his hands afterward, to stay in line ... to remember that dancing does not necessitate wild, caveman-like thrashing.

And Jesus?

Help me not to cry until I exit those doors tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment