"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

15 February 2010

Presidents' Day

Is it President's Day singular or Presidents' Day plural?

Regardless, I feel about the day much the same way I felt about Veterans' Day. The president's not taking the day off today, is he? So why are 1 out of every 5 people I know taking off for Florida for the week?

Secondly, it really bothers me when people don't follow through. It has been on my mind since yesterday afternoon, when a friend ever so casually mentioned that she had been invited to go to the movies with a couple other girls and that she would "let you know" if she would make it to the surprise birthday dinner for one of our other friends. The dinner that has been in the plans for over a week. It irritates me on the basic level of just expecting people to keep their word, but it also bothers me because it smacks of middle school popularity contests: Sure, I'll make plans to do something with you ... unless something better comes along.

I'm trying to let it go.

It's hard.

Other than that, I've been indoors in my pajamas all day. I love that about having our own space. Don't judge me, though. I've been productive. I've cleaned up the kitchen from the mess we made yesterday, from breakfast in bed I made for N to the beautiful, fireside dinner he made for me.

I love my husband. I love being married to him.

I also have to tackle the laundry, but the dungeon is scary sometimes. Sometimes, I'm a pansy like that. Don't worry. I'll do it.  Mostly because I don't like to let things have a hold on me like that, but also because I don't want N to have to do it when he doesn't even get the week off.

So I'm going to go get my cup of coffee, start the laundry, mop the kitchen floor, and tackle some of the boxes in my sewing room that I finally extracted from the Dark Hole that was the closet in there. Hey, it was a convenient way to create some semblance of order before Christmas when we moved in.

T should be coming by with a cake soon for us to bring to the birthday dinner. She's driving the birthday boy, and a cake would be a little suspicious.

*Follow Up: T came over while I was mopping, and we hung out chatting for the afternoon. Midway through, several vehicles with sirens went whizzing by my street, and we walked out to see thick, black smoke coming out of a flaming rooftop down the street. Apparently, everyone got out, no one was hurt, and the fire was in the garage, not the main house.

I also now know that if I ever happen to find myself in an emergency situation requiring fire trucks and ambulances, our local fire department will not be the ones to rescue me. They arrive twenty minutes after the other three fire trucks (from nearby towns). The house would have probably burned down by then. Comforting, isn't it?

Dinner was fun; we got helium balloons for Z. At first, I couldn't find any that were remotely male-ish, and the guy at the store said to just give him butterfly ones. Then I was going to get one that said "It's a boy!" but thought better of it, considering you never know who you'll run into when you're out in public.  We all came back to our house afterward for cake and games. It was fun, we laughed a lot, and I think Z appreciated it. Even the part where he was sung to by the Applebee's waitresses.

**I would post pictures, but it seems we have misplaced our adapter yet again.

***My husband just called me a cheeky monkey and kissed me soundly. I love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment