"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

22 October 2010

The Eyes, They Just Won't Stay Open

Tonight's the third night this week that I've found myself all bundled up in my fleece pajamas and tucked in bed before eight o'clock. The other two nights, I was fast asleep before nine, and it looks like tonight might be the same.

If this is what it's like at 24 weeks, I'm a goner for the third trimester. (Must not panic for how much still needs to be done in the nursery and bought for the baby.)

In other news, Nich just told me this evening that his co-workers have taken to calling the baby "Nich Jr." One of the ladies even told him that she likes it so much because it reminds her of the kids' channel on TV. I think that's sort of cute. It also makes me grateful to know that they are interested in our baby and how we're doing, because often, I feel like we're sort of on an island here in this journey.

I had my visits with the new obstetricians' office this week. The nurses I met were all very nice, and the doctor I saw yesterday was good. I was a bit uncomfortable with having a male doctor, but oh, well. I appreciated that he took the time to actually ask me questions, answer mine, and to do simple things like set a weight gain goal for me (something that never occurred at the previous OB, amongst other things). They did my blood sugar test a couple weeks early, since my mom is diabetic. I think I've had more blood taken out of me in the past few months than I have in my entire pre-pregnancy life! Also, the pregnancy books weren't kidding when they said that the drink tastes awful.  It was like very, very sweet Kool-Aid that hadn't been mixed with enough water to dilute it. Thankfully, it was chilled, and that helped it go down.

Yesterday, I was reading, holding a book in one hand, with my arm propped up on my belly, and Baby G kicked so hard that it made my book jump! It's true what they say; there's a degree of reassurance in feeling him move so much.

I'm having a lot of upper back strain, and although the visits with the chiropractor are helping, he said that it's tougher because my body's constantly changing, stretching and loosening, to make room for the growing baby. It's not like he can get me aligned and I stay that way. The good thing, however, is that I'm not having lower back pain yet, which is the more common complaint in pregnancy and more difficult for the chiropractor to treat, due to the proximity to the baby.

We had a few flurries today, but overall, the day was absolutely gorgeous. It is definitely getting colder, though. We finally caved and turned on the heat really low and added an extra comforter to our bed. Here comes winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment