"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

11 February 2011

NST, Kerry, & Baby Timmy

We went for another ultrasound (to measure amniotic fluid) and our first non-stress test this morning. Our hopes were raised during the ultrasound, because it was looking like the fluid level had decreased (if the measure was 5 or under, they would have sent us over to the hospital) , but then the tech found a good-sized pocket of fluid where he wasn't so crunched up in there. Darn. It's okay, though. I really don't want to be induced, so it's better this way.

Baby G was being a bit of a chump and being uncooperative during the NST. He was wiggling around and kicking just great during the car ride to the doctors' office, but once I was strapped onto the machine, he just didn't want to move. I drank ice water to try to get him going and even poked at his legs and back, but he was content to just doze in there. He did kick around a little bit each time I had a contraction, though, and thankfully, that was good enough for the doctor. Of course, once we got in the car to come home, he started kicking around again. Little butt.

I'm glad we went for the NST today, because although I have been having what I suspected were contractions over the past few days, it was good to have that be confirmed. A few of them registered quite high (going up to 75 on the machine), and the nurse was really surprised I was tolerating them. In all honesty, I barely felt the ones that were 50 and below, and the higher ones were just a bit uncomfortable. She said that it was a good sign that I may tolerate labor well. I hope, I hope! :~)

No more dilation or effacing (I've been about a centimeter dilated for three weeks now), but things are "very soft" according to the doctor. He said that could mean that once things start to move along, it'll progress quickly. I like that thought. Our OBs aren't ones to give false hope, so I'm trusting that they didn't just feed me a bunch of hogwash today to make me feel better. :~)

On another note, my friend Kerry is doing really well. Her surgery lasted about 16 hours, but she has both lungs, a new liver, and a new pancreas. She has been walking. She's off the ventilator and the oxygen (which means her new lungs are working, I think!). She hit a little bump in the road on Tuesday. They needed to take care of some fluid in her abdomen and find out where the excess fluid was coming from. It turned out there was a blood clot in the portal vein, which they removed. Overall, she's doing fantastically well, which just makes me giddy. When I first got the news that she was heading into surgery for her new organs, I called Nich to let him know and (this is going to sound corny and cliche) started crying with happiness. I'm grateful for how quickly the Lord has answered prayers for Kerry. I know He does things in His good and perfect time, but I'm so glad that His timing for Kerry was sooner rather than later.

And speaking of answered prayers and continued miracles, my friend Michelle from college has a little baby boy who has been in the hospital since he was prematurely born last September. As a new mom-to-be, I can't imagine the heartache that Mark and Michelle are going through, and I think they have been so incredibly strong and brave through this journey. Nich and I have both shed tears as we have followed Timmy's struggles. Read here for Baby Timmy's story, and please join us in praying for Mark, Michelle, and Timmy.

I've actually been able to keep pretty busy this past week, which has been really good so that I'm not just sitting around bored and waiting. We had a couple birthday parties at the end of last week, I finished my sewing project (covers for my rocking chair cushions), mended two coats, went to my ladies' Bible study, experimented with new recipes for dinner, baked cookies, shoveled our driveway, swept the kitchen floor, set up a bed in our study for my mom's visit, gave Nich a much-needed hair cut, etc. Nich got me the Harry Potter book set for Christmas, so I've been reading through those, as well. I've had great conversations with some of my sweet friends on the phone, which is always so good for my heart. I've also heard of two more friends who are expecting babies (although they aren't publicizing the news yet), which is such fun!

We're hoping for this weekend with Baby G! I hope the next time I post, it will be with good news and some pictures!

*This just in from Kerry's mom: "Kerry says pray for her to pass the FEES test (swallow test) today. She sure would like a sip of juice. Also pray for success in getting a pic line in today and for pain level to decrease. She is up walking 3x a day inspite of the pain."


  1. Yay, contractions! Come on, baby! My contractions didn't hurt until my water broke. But I had back labor, so hopefully Baby G decides to do things the less painful way for you. Thinking of you often. Love!

  2. When they checked my fluid, I was the same way - I didn't want to be induced, but I was disappointed that everything was looking good. They said I had too much fluid, which isn't a problem, but which was kind of discouraging to a very pregnant lady. hehe.

    Here's hoping Baby G makes a move soon!