"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

02 November 2011

Stream of consciousness...

We in America (wow, I think that's the first time I've ever said that) skip right from Halloween to Thanksgiving, but traditionally, Halloween is followed closely by All Saints' Day (yesterday) and All Souls' Day (today). I've been wondering about Dias de los Muertos since watching a Halloween-themed show on the Food Network a couple weeks ago, so I read up on it briefly tonight.

Apparently, there is a 30 Days of Thanksgiving challenge that several of my friends/acquaintances have taken up. Seems like a good idea, but I'm not going to do it. At least, not in a public forum like Facebook. I think I would feel forced to come up with pithy things to be "thankful" for, and I would rather reflect, process, and genuinely express gratitude.

November is also NaBloPoMo.  I'm not going to do that either. I don't have interesting things to say on here every day. But I do have friends who do have great things to say every day and are doing it.

Sometimes, I feel guilty that Brennan is growing up without any grandparents around, that my life decisions and choices have resulted in him not having anyone to dote on him and spoil him. It hurts when someone else flippantly makes that claim.

I have really kind friends. I wish more of them were nearby.

Skype is a wonderful tool.

I am incredibly thankful for clean water. I think about it every day as I fill our Brita pitcher, do dishes, shower, and wash laundry.

I tried to renew my library book tonight. It said I had three renewals left, so I clicked "Renew." It told me I wasn't allowed to because someone else had requested the book. So why does it say I have three renewals?!

That said, I'm going to go read now.

No comments:

Post a Comment