"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

06 November 2011

30 Days of Thanksgiving

In my last post, I mentioned that I didn't like the daily posting of something you're "thankful for" as your status update because I felt that after a while, it just gets pithy and meaningless.

Well, I was convicted about recognizing and expressing gratitude, so I have decided that for each day of this month, I am going to write a card to someone for whom I am grateful. This is perfect for me, because I enjoy writing and sending cards, but recently, Nich and I were talking about how we sometimes get overwhelmed because we feel as though we're going through this parenting thing alone. We came to the realization that we DO have a "village," though. Our "village" isn't here, in one place, but we do have incredible friends all over the world who do care deeply and love on us - sometimes in breathtakingly abundant and generous ways. We do thank those friends, but I think this is the perfect month to be deliberate in my gratitude.

I don't know who amongst my friends reads this blog - I mean, who on earth do I know in UAE right now? - but is there something you do to specially express your gratitude around Thanksgiving (either the month of or the day of or at the meal, etc.)?

Today, I have an extra "thankful for" item. Nich went out this afternoon to get a piece of wood so that he can install the top-of-the-stairs baby gate. I asked him if he would mind picking up a few groceries (which can be a little complicated these days with the WIC checks and all). He was such a trooper, and when he came home, he said with a smile, "I got you a little treat." When I go grocery shopping, I always get him a "little treat." It's usually something very small like a Snickers bar (which was his dad's favorite and hence, a nostalgic favorite of Nich's) or a box of frozen taquitos.

As I was putting away the groceries, I found my "little treat". Thanks, honey!
It's a persimmon! I didn't even know until recently that they had these in this country!

2 comments:

  1. i often try to get matt something special too. i guess its a "thinking of you" kind of gesture. how sweet that your hubby did the same. and i must say i love reading your blog and hearing about your wonderful life. and i know you are truly blessed even if your blessings are spread far and wide you are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose the UAE person might have been me :) It's our hub whenever we travel. Thanks for posting. It's nice to read what's going on in your life!

    ReplyDelete