"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

01 August 2012

Last Night's Dinner & Other News

I posted last night's dinner menu on Facebook: "Kimchi jeon (pancake), sesame broccoli salad, and Korean barbecue chicken for dinner tonight," and the post was "liked" enough that it inspired me to take pictures and share the recipes I used (you know, just in case you ever decide to expand your palate).

First, we have the kimchi jeon, which is a sort of pancake involving (you guessed it!) kimchi. I modified a recipe I found online. I mixed 1 cup of chopped up kimchi, 1/4 cup of kimchi juice/water, 1/4 cup of chopped onion, 1 tsp of sugar, 1/2 cup flour. Instead of the grapeseed oil, I used sesame oil (mostly because I have a ton of sesame oil in my pantry right now, but also because I really like the taste of sesame in Korean cooking). 
To make it easy to pick up with chopsticks, I usually cut it into small squares using kitchen scissors. In Korea, you tear it apart using your chopsticks.
For the sesame broccoli salad, I used Beyond Kimchee's Tofu Broccoli Salad recipe, omitting the tofu.
I had no more tofu because I had used it up in this rice: steamed rice, cilantro, chopped onions, crushed garlic, tossed with sesame oil. YUM!
Little B got his own little bowl.
I'd never made broccoli this way before, and all three of us really liked it! It's a creative alternative to the regular steamed or stir-fried broccoli I usually serve. 
 I took a shortcut with the barbecue chicken, because N found bottles of prepared marinade (similar to this) at the Korean store last weekend. I poured half a bottle of it into a Ziploc bag with a chicken breast on steroids (it was HUGE), let it sit for about half an hour in the refrigerator, and then popped it in the oven (covered) at 375F for forty minutes. I took it out, sliced it up, and cooked it uncovered for another ten minutes or so. 
On an unrelated note, here's a little peek at my current sewing project.
Aren't the dinosaurs adorable?
And on a further unrelated note, here's some cuteness.
He wanted to wear the tie that N wore to work yesterday, and he was so thrilled with it that he kept dancing around (which translated into, "He wouldn't stand still for a picture.")
On that note: Have a great Wednesday! Happy August!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today's Joy Dare (via Ann Voskamp): 3 Gifts White

Mine are: My coffeemaker on bleary-eyed mornings after staying up too late watching the Olympics; diapers sunning on the drying rack; wispy clouds in the blue, blue sky 

What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment