"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

12 November 2012

Curses on You, Coxsackie!

I placed a call to our former pediatric office in Saratoga this morning, because I just wanted to have some answers. I've been sleeping on the floor of B's room for the past two nights, because he has been very wakeful. It's just easier to soothe him when I'm lying right next to him instead of hauling myself out of bed and lurching down the hall half-awake.

The phone nurse (the nice, non-alarmist one) called me back right away, and after hearing what Little B has been through for the past few days, she poured out sympathy.

Sometimes, we mamas of little ones just need to hear kind words.

And then she said she thought it sounds like it might be the coxsackie virus. Curses. I thought we'd left that behind when we moved from NY, since it seems to be a northeastern thing (it was named after Coxsackie, NY, after all).
We obviously didn't go to church yesterday (germ-spreading is NOT okay). While Little B napped, N and I had a rare, quiet morning together, me with my cup of coffee and library book, with Nichole Nordeman playing softly in the background. What a merciful treat to have that hour of quiet!

Our little boy is so good-natured overall, and I am especially thankful for his sweet character . Other than the momentary bouts of intense pain he experiences when the meds wear off and a bit of extra fussiness, he has, for the most part, been quite his usual chipper self during the day. It makes the sleepless nights bearable, and honestly, I have kind of loved waking up to his little voice saying, "Mama! Mama!" accompanied by gentle taps to my cheeks. When I open my eyes, he smiles big and waves right in front of my face.
B loves his daddy! I'm quite fond of both of them.

We haven't been up to anything exciting lately, since we've been lying low with B being under the weather (it's near impossible to keep a toddler rested during the day, isn't it?).

Yesterday afternoon, we ventured out to our friends' house so I could trim and re-hem B's blankie. He likes to put the corners in his mouth when he's falling asleep, which I think is quite gross. I've trimmed and hemmed that blanket three times now, so it's quite a bit smaller than when he first got it. I'm going to have to find a new one that he likes before this one disappears!

Just for fun, here are a couple pictures from a playground outing last week.
I put a band-aid on my finger to keep a hangnail from catching. B wanted one, too.
Mama and B
And here are a few pictures that my dad shared on FB recently from Korea; it's so beautiful in autumn there. The backgrounds make me miss the Adirondack fall season. The seasonal change in Texas isn't very colorful.

My parents are returning to Africa at the end of this week. Please pray for traveling mercies for them!
My pretty mama
My suave daddy
From the veterans' cemetary where my grandpa's ashes are kept
My aunt, grandma, and mom

No comments:

Post a Comment