"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

07 February 2013

This and That

For years, I used to ignore Valentine's Day, writing it off as a "fake" special day on the calendar propagated by businesses taking advantage of the easily misled consumer. But recently, I came to the conclusion that with all the terrible things that happen every day in this world, a day set aside to celebrate love is really not a bad thing. How I choose to celebrate it might not involve chocolate and flowers and over-the-top dinner dates, but I can still choose to make it a day of serving an extra helping of love to those around me.

Anyway, in the spirit of Valentine's Day, I made this garland of hearts:
It is based on Sarah's Crochet Heart Garland pattern from Sarahndipities. I chose not to make it in all reds or pinks, because ... well, I'm just not a reds and pinks kind of person. It adds just a good bit of colorful cheer to our otherwise very brown fireplace, don't you think?

I finished it today while B napped, and when he woke up, we hung it up together. He proclaimed it "pwetty hanging-uh."

B fills our house with laughter these days. He has grasped the concept of "joking," and he will say silly, nonsensical things just to crack himself up.

Yesterday, as I was making dinner, I heard N and B laughing in B's room. Then I heard N say, "Go show Mommy," followed by the pitter-patter of small feet flying down the hallway.

Into the kitchen appeared this adorable creature (holding a very large basket):
"Hao-ween! Twicky tweat! Peas tandy, pee-pul!" (Halloween! Trick or treat! Please candy, people!)

Against my better judgment, I let him have a Hershey's Kiss before dinner as a reward for his creativity. I mean, really? How could I resist? Plus, I had made a tofu stir-fry, and B loves tofu. I knew he was going to eat a good dinner, and he did.

Here's something else I made recently. I think I've mentioned before that I'm participating in a Handmade Pay-It-Forward gift exchange. I made this pincushion for one of my friends who enjoys sewing.
Isn't it pretty? It's actually over an inch high, so it's a good-sized pincushion. Here's a better view of  the side of it:
I'm pleased with the way it turned out. The pattern is called the African Flower Pincushion by Sandra at Cherry Heart. She makes some lovely things, and I was inspired when I saw this on her blog. I think it's supposed to be reminiscent of an African violet.
Photo Credit
I hope Zoe likes it. I made it for her gift because she spent a semester in Tanzania during college, and I know she had a great time there.

Here is one more glimpse at my garland.
I'm sitting in the armchair next to it right now, and every time I glance up at it, it makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment