"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

14 March 2013

Consolation

There is one consolation to being sick,
and that is the possibility that you may recover
to a better state than you were ever in before.
- Henry David Thoreau -

Little Mr. B is still unwell, with his fever spiking in between medicine doses. It's making him a little cranky, especially when he tries to sleep and wakes up soaking wet with sweat. Poor little guy. Overall, he is maintaining his good-natured spirit, and I'm a little humbled to realize that my two-year-old is a better patient than I am.

We passed the morning quietly, snuggling and reading books together on the couch. At one point, he asked to watch a DVD of "Signing Time," so I used that opportunity to work on an order for Hannah Plays Hooky

This afternoon, it was pretty nice outside, so we spent an hour in the backyard, cleaning up the patio of the mess that the weekend thunderstorm left us, pulling weeds (B likes to pick the dandelion flowers and collect them in the little cup holder of his lawn chair), and swinging. 

We also played with sidewalk chalk and window markers. Oh, and before I forget again, I apologize for the poor quality of the photos lately. I've been taking pictures with my very broken phone, because with a sick kid, I haven't been taking the time to haul the camera around.
Little B is very much my kid in many ways. He had all the markers on the ground next to him, and he used them one at a time in a very orderly fashion. Once he had used a color, he would put it behind him just so and get another one. 
Making art
Speaking of art, here is his painting from yesterday. Was it just yesterday? It feels like it has been several days!
I've been letting B paint on the millions of sheets of packing paper that were left after we had unpacked from our move. It is rather flimsy, so with the rigorous finger painting of a two-year-old, sometimes, it rips. A small hole turned into a big one after B decided to gently tear away at it. I actually kind of like it. It sort of looks like an elephant to me. 

Anyway, I want to share some happy pictures that don't have to do with anyone being ill.
He found that sword at the craft store a couple months ago and insisted that it "coming home" with us.
All ready to go to "moozik cass" (music class)!
A project for Daddy, which he took to work
He picked out his own outfit this day. He wanted to wear the "YaYa fleece" (from N's godmother), his "doggie hat," and his "choo choo shane gases" (choo choo train glasses).
I keep a bunch of books in the car for B to look at while we go places.
This one is a frequent pick. It's about trains, of course!
I tested a new pattern by Knot Your Nana's Crochet. Isn't it adorable?! Check out her page for more awesome crochet items!
I separated and re-potted a bunch of my house plants the other night. I had an old mixing bowl that had cracked, so I moved my African violets into that. They're doing beautifully. I just love having this spot of cheerful color in our room!
Thanks for visiting with me! I have been pleasantly surprised as of late to discover that I have readers that I never would have imagined were keeping up with my to-dos here. It's delightful to learn that people I know are following along with my almost-daily poodling around.

I'm heading to bed now. I think it's going to be another long night (Little B has been up three times already). Send happy thoughts and prayers for health our way!

No comments:

Post a Comment