"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

12 March 2013

Say It With Me: "NO MORE SICKIES!"

As we were sitting down to dinner last night, B told us he didn't want dinnertime. Instead, he wanted to sit in N's lap and be cuddled.

Have I mentioned that our son is not a cuddler?

We noticed that his left ear was bright red. We took his temperature in both ears, saw that it was kind of high, gave him some medicine, and put him to bed.

It was a long night.

This morning, he woke up extra-early, all sweaty and cranky. It seemed his fever had broken, and he ate a great breakfast.

Then, mid-morning, his temperature started creeping up again, and he asked for "night-night time" an hour before his usual nap time. He only slept for forty minutes, which eliminated any possibility for me to sneak a nap in.

We painted, read books on the couch, and watched his "Signing Time" DVD while snuggled in our bed ... or, as B calls it, "Daddy's kib" (Daddy's crib).  I saw his eyes drooping, and so I dozed off next to him. When he woke up half an hour later, he was burning up. I took his temperature again, and when I saw that it was over 104, I called the pediatrician immediately. They told me that I could bring him in right away (hurray for not being sent to the urgent care, which is what the phone nurse at our old pediatrician would have done, because she was a bit of an alarmist).

When we were at the pediatrician's office just a week ago, we were in a pretty awesome airplane room. Today, we were in a cheerfully bright Dr. Seuss room.



B recognized the fish from his "One Fish, Two Fish" book. He wanted to know where the other fish were.
It's no fun being sick, but if you've got to go to the doctor, it sure is nice to be in a colorful room!

I was relieved that he tested negative for the flu. It turns out he has an ear infection (in that same ear that was bright red last night).
You know, it really is the pits how often we've all been sick since we moved, but today has reminded me of how much I have to be thankful for.

I'm thankful for a child who remains mostly in good spirits even when he's feeling "owie." He was so good with all the poking and prodding today. Even when the nurse stuck the swab up his nostril to get the sample for the flu test, he just fussed for a little bit, saying, "No like nose!" but when I explained that she needed to see if he had germs up there that were making him sick, he nodded and settled down.

I'm thankful that up until this point, B has been a very healthy kid. This is only his second ear infection in his life, and I know many children who have them repeatedly.

I'm thankful for such quick and easy access to medical care.

I'm thankful for medicine that helps my baby feel better and get some sleep.

I'm thankful for a husband who is my teammate in parenting, who doesn't leave it all up to me, just because I'm a woman, the mother, the one who stays home.

I'm thankful that I can ask for friends to pray, and they tell me they will. And I know they will.

I'm thankful for a friend who reminds me to think more broadly, to pray over our environment, to declare blessing and health over our home.

When we came home, I tucked B in on the couch with a DVD, crackers and water. This is a testament in itself of how unwell he's feeling, because this kid never watches movies unless he has no choice (i.e., when I'm cutting his hair and he's strapped into his booster seat).
He was feeling perkier by dinnertime, though, and ate a good serving of mac-and-cheese and drank some of his smoothie.

Here's to hoping for a good night's rest for everyone and NO MORE SICKIES!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, poor B! THANKFUL along with you, friend! Praying for health in his little body.

    ReplyDelete