"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

25 June 2013

Blackberry Jam

A few weeks ago, I bought blackberries.

Boy, did I buy blackberries.

What can I say? They were on sale, and my boy loves him some berries.

Suffice it to say, I had an overabundance of berries.

So I decided to make jam.
While your berries reduce on the stove top, put your jars and lids in a hot water bath to sterilize them. Mash your berries as they heat up (I just used my 97-cent potato masher).
Bring fruit to a boil, stirring constantly. Blackberries "spit" more than strawberries do! Wear an apron if you don't want to get berry splatter all over you!
Pour in the entire packet of pectin and stir until it's thoroughly dissolved.
Add sugar. Most recipes call for a TON of sugar. I used about 2 cups of sugar for this batch and the end product was plenty sweet. Bring to a boil again and boil one minute, stirring constantly. Take off heat.
I use a funnel and a ladle to get the jam into the jars. It cut down on the mess. Fill to bottom edge of the rim. Wipe off any jam off the rims with a clean dish towel.
Seal the jars tightly. Press down on the middle of the lid to check if it's sealed. If it pops back, it is not sealed yet.
Your jam shouldn't move at all when it's done setting.
Plenty of jam to share with friends! Don't worry; there was plenty for us to have some, too!
FYI: If you're using the kind of jars that seal, you don't have to refrigerate them. I store mine on top of my kitchen cabinets. However, I did end up running out of jars and re-used an old peanut butter jar for the remaining jam. I put it into the refrigerator immediately, and it set just fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JOY DARE

I know. I've been terrible about keeping up with this on a daily basis, but it's the spirit that matters, correct?

Today's Joy Dare: 3 Gifts in Someone Older Than You

1. Perspective from a life longer lived, distance greater traveled, people loved and lost
2. Wisdom of a more grounded sort
3. Advice from a heart that is able to stand staunchly against the winds of worldly influence


Would love to hear yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment