"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

20 June 2013

Toddlerhood, Father's Day, & Nicaragua: A Compassion Post

Toddlerhood is kicking my soul's butt, you guys.

I almost said, "Ya'll." What is becoming of me?!

Seriously, though, I don't think my patience, peace of mind, and spirit have EVER been tested as they have since my happy-go-lucky, compliant, little bundle of cuteness turned into an opinionated, chatty, full-steam-ahead little BOY.

I mean really. Babyhood was a giant slice of gooey chocolate cake compared to toddlerhood.

Even with only three hours of interrupted sleep a night for ten months.

And have I mentioned "chatty"? As in, I do not have a moment of pure silence in my day. Because even when B is napping, I have a list of about a hundred things running through my head.

I wish I had mute button for my brain.

And he's so stinkin' clever and such a riot, sometimes. I shared this on FB recently, but it's worth mentioning again: I was finishing up getting lunch ready as B was calling for me from the dining room. I said, "Hang on, buddy!" I came through the doors to see him leaning on his booster seat, legs dangling down.

"I hanging, Mama! I hanging!"

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a literalist on our hands.


Anyway, all this is why I have been absent on here as of late. I'm just surviving day-to-day, morning-to-naptime, nap-to-bedtime.

There are a million photos I want to share with you, so many thoughts to write ... but I come to the end of the day, and I just want to put my laundry away and crawl into bed with my book.

But I made a commitment to partner with Compassion in their vision to end childhood poverty and hunger.

So here goes.


I first learned about Nicaragua in fourth grade at my international school in Cameroon when we were studying Latin America. We were each assigned a country to research, and mine was Nicaragua. I can't say I remember much from that project (other than the fact that "Managua" was a fun word to say), but my interest has peaked each time someone mentions Nicaragua. One of my college roommates spent quite a bit of time there when she studied abroad, and I very much enjoyed her photos and updates.

So if you would, please hop over to Compassion and follow along as they travel through Nicaragua RIGHT NOW. Keep them in your prayers, as well as the children and families they encounter.

In other news, here's the Father's Day montage I made for N. These are trampoline photos from last weekend, and I selected three that were "representative" of various superheros. Can you guess which ones?
And then recently, N took the very same photos and went all comic-book-nerdy on me:
Daddy and son just adore each other. Recently, I was walking through a store with B just chatting away quite animatedly "on the phone with Daddy." So I snapped a photo and sent it to N.
Immediately, I got a response:
B was beyond delighted. Aren't my boys so funny?

I do have some fun hooky things to show you soon, so stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. So cute! I know you have your hands full, but he just seems like he is going to be an amazing man one day. I love the relationship between he and Nich. Such a special bond. And Levi is definitely a fan of the phone as well, oh the generation they are growing up in! I pray life gets a little easier and you grow stronger as mom to that lively boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet affirmation, Nisa. I do thoroughly appreciate the solid relationship N and B have. They adore each other. :~)

      And indeed, this generation will never know a world without gadgets! In fact, B is sitting on the ottoman pushed right up against the patio doors as I start the grill for dinner ('m not letting him outside because of the mosquitoes).

      Thanks again for the note, and for the prayers for strength of character for me!

      Delete
  2. You go, girl! That's a tiring, exciting, overwhelming, euphoric stage of motherhood. I think it's great that you're willing to admit that this has sapped your energy (as it should unless you're not doing it right!) and you've recognized your limits. More moms need to do that, Hannah. But when you can be here and share about your beautiful son and the mark he is making on the world--and more importantly, on you and your husband, then that's great too! By the way, I love the way your husband sent you that "on the phone" photo. That's so sweet! And thanks for linking this up with Wedded Wed. Love the post and the encouragement to support Compassion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Beth,

      As always, thank you for taking the time to leave me such uplifting words of encouragement and affirmation! I very much appreciate them, especially coming from someone who has gone before me on the path of motherhood. :)

      Delete