"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

21 June 2013

Good as New (No-More-Poop) Dining Room Chairs!

I know so much more about televised American sports than ever before in my life, thanks to FB and the handful of sports-crazy friends I have. I never had the faintest idea what "season" it was in the sporting world, but now, there's no escaping it. The sheer amount of basketball posts on FB last night was unbelievable. After a few scrolls, I decided it wasn't worth my time to be piddling around online, and we re-covered our dining room chairs instead.

Remember That Day a couple weeks ago? When The Great Poop happened to one of my dining room chairs?

Well, I was inspired by a friend, who used some of her Ugandan fabric to re-cover a stool.

(Bwahahahaha, I just made myself laugh reading that sentence ... I promise I don't generally indulge in potty humor, you guys. Seriously.)
You can read Rachel's story about her time in Uganda at "A Library Story."
When I asked her whether she'd mind if I used her photos on my blog, I also found out she used Ugandan fabric to make cloth napkins for her wedding (and gave them away to the wedding guests). Isn't that a lovely idea? 

Of course, I should have taken another page from her book and made sure to take (and save) "Before" photos.

I did take some. I just don't remember where I saved them. But it's okay. The original seat cushions were just a boring, off-white, corduroy-type material.

Anyway, here is the "After" photo of my chairs:
I just love them. N and I both really love deep, vibrant colors (although the photo makes the orange look much brighter than it actually is), and I felt like this material was just right. I have a few yards leftover, as well as some scrap pieces, so I'm trying to decide whether or not making a matching valance for the dining room window would be overkill.

African material generally isn't very neutral, if you know what I mean.

I will say this, though. I have a new respect for people who do this stuff all the time. Because really, pulling out all those staples was a pain in the rear. I don't envision doing that again any time soon.

Unless poop decides to make an appearance again.

No comments:

Post a Comment