"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

28 May 2014

Were You A Blessing?

Whenever we dropped B off at his class on Sunday mornings or with a babysitter for our life group, I would call out, "Have fun!" Then, when we picked him up, the first question I would ask was, "Did you have fun?"

But then it occurred to me that life isn't really just about having "fun" all the time, is it?

So I've revised my statements. Now, I remind him to "be a blessing" to his friends and teachers, and when we pick him up, I inquire, "Were you a blessing?"

Recently, as B and I were cuddling at bedtime, I had the sudden thought that he is a blessing to me, each and every day.

From taking dishes to the sink after meals without being prompted, to telling me he "really, really" loves me, to picking up a potted plant at the grocery store and insisting to N that he needed to buy it for me, to never failing to make his little sister smile ... B is a daily blessing to our family.

Last night, as I was reading to B at bedtime, he interrupted me nonchalantly, "Oh, there it is. That was bothering my nose for a while."

And then he hands me this:
Because one of the biggest ways B blesses us?

He keeps us laughing.

Constantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment