"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

06 June 2014

Cookie-Loving on Our Neighbors

I just really love our church. I mean, how can you not love a church that sends everyone home with a box of cookies to bake for our neighbors? Cookies say "love" no matter where you are, right?

The box we received were snickerdoodles. I had to laugh, because I never make snickerdoodles. N has an aunt who makes amazing snickerdoodles (he talks about them all the time), and so I don't even try to replicate hers.

Anyway, B was a great helper, and it turns out, snickerdoodles are the perfect cookie to bake with a 3-year old. I rolled the dough into appropriately sized balls and he coated them with the sugar mix and placed them on the cookie sheets.
And of course, we had this adorable little onlooker cheering us on.
As the cookies baked and cooled, I made lunch while B entertained his sister.
I packaged the cookies while the kids napped. B had been very specific about which neighbors he wanted to bless with the cookies, so I made bags for those three houses and then one more. On Sunday, as I was heading out to the store with B after church, I had noticed that our neighbor on the corner was being dropped off by a younger couple. He was holding one of the fliers from our church! I thought it would be nice to meet him, and this presented the perfect opportunity.
After naptime, we headed out to deliver our goodies.
B initially insisted on having the cookies on the back of his tricycle, but he quickly realized that wasn't the most stable method of transportation (nor could he go as fast as he wanted with the cookies on his trike).
He delegated that responsibility to me and zoomed on ahead.
At each house, B would park his tricycle at end of the sidewalk, retrieve a bag of cookies from the stroller, and run up to ring the doorbell. Each neighbor greeted him with smiles and praise, and I could tell that he was really enjoying the process.
Mr. David & Mrs. Sharyl
Mr. Forrest & his family
Mr. Lonnie and "Mr. Lonnie's Mrs. Cheryl"
I didn't take any photos at our newest acquaintance's house in the off chance that he might be looking out the window or something as we walked up to the door. Because if I looked out my window and saw someone taking a picture, I would think that was weird, too.

And we did the praying for our neighbors portion after the fact, because standing out in the afternoon sun in June in Texas any longer than we had to just isn't smart thinking when you have a baby in tow.

Anyway, thanks, Chase Oaks Church, for giving us an opportunity to love on our neighbors in this way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment