"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

15 January 2015

Home from School Early

Little Lady was fast asleep for her morning nap and I had dozed off in the armchair while I was waiting for the next load of laundry to dry. I heard her stirring, and as usual, she was all smiles and "Hiiiiiii!" when I walked in.

But there was All. The. Poop.

Honestly, we had it so easy with Little Man. I can count on one hand the number of bad poop incidents we ever had with him. Little Lady has been so much more prone to tummy troubles in her short life.

I'm hoping she'll grow out of it.

Anyway, with all the cleaning up involved, I somehow missed a phone call from B's preschool until I glanced at my phone forty minutes later and realized I had a voicemail message. The director said B had been sitting in a chair in the reading corner all day long and hadn't wanted to do anything all day, not even play. She said he went to music class with everyone else, but when they returned to the classroom, he sat right back down in that chair.

He wasn't causing trouble; he was just very still and quiet.

Which is SO not our little guy.

They took his temperature, and although he didn't have a fever, they thought I would want to know what was going on.

After calling back and talking to one of his teachers, I decided to go ahead and pick him up an hour early.

When A and I walked into the classroom, he was smiling and chatting with his lunch table buddies. Ms. A said that as soon as he had heard that I was coming, his whole demeanor had changed and he had pepped right up.

So we drove home, with me praying silently the entire way home for wisdom on how to connect with B's heart regarding whatever was wrong.  As we were pulling into our driveway, I felt prompted to ask B if he wanted to go to the playground.

Best decision of the day.

He laughed and ran and although I hadn't known whether it was the right thing to do at the time, I'm so glad I went to pick him up early today.

It gave us a precious, unexpected hour of playing together.
Digging through Brother's superheroes while he napped
Sometimes, taking an hour out of the day to just play is the best hour of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment