"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

13 January 2015

Pause.

Ten to fifteen minutes had passed since I had tucked B in for his nap.

Long enough that he should have fallen asleep.

Instead, from my comfortable seat in the living room where I had settled in with my tea and Bible study, I heard exuberant singing coming from his room.

When I walked in to halt the spontaneous music fest (because his sister's sleeping in her room next to his), his head popped up from the pillow with a huge grin and he said, "I just LOVE singing, Mama."

And because of what I had read this morning from Rachel Stafford, I was able to respond with love instead of irritation. I did still remind him that his sister was napping and that he needed to be quiet and go to sleep, but I was also able to tell him that I loved his singing, and that I would love to hear more after he had taken a good nap.

And as I picked up the stray toy airplane that Little Lady had left on the floor where she had been playing while I put away her brother's laundry earlier, I felt a little lump in my throat.

He really won't be this little forever and the days and weeks are flying by.

So I'm extra-thankful for this small interruption in my day, for reminding me to savor this.

No comments:

Post a Comment