"If the God you believe in as an idea doesn’t start showing up in what happens to you in your own life, you have as much cause for concern as if the God you don’t believe in as an idea does start showing up. It is absolutely crucial, therefore, to keep in constant touch with what is going on in your own life’s story and to pay close attention to what is going on in the stories of others’ lives. If God is present anywhere, it is in those stories that God is present. If God is not present in those stories, then they are scarcely worth telling." ~ Frederick Buechner

03 August 2012

I believe.

"When it is hardest - that is when you sing the loudest. The devil flees at a hymn."

I read that on Ann's blog today, and I immediately wrote myself a reminder on our kitchen prayer board.

Because I've found that to be true.

When we lived four blocks away from our church, I used to walk to my evening Bible study. Sometimes, it would be eerily quiet on the walk home and since the only lights were from the windows of houses, my journey would be a dark one with lots of shadows. I found that singing chased away the fears that would creep into my heart.

But I have fears that far surpass being scared of the dark.

Today, I read this Q & A with a funeral director. Incredibly insightful, informative, and thought-provoking.

One of my greatest fears is about losing unsaved friends and family to death.

Between the words of wisdom from Ann's mother-in-law and Caleb Wilde's post, I was faced with the opportunity, yet again, to say, "Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today's Joy Dare (via Ann Voskamp):
3 Gifts: one at 10 a.m., one at 1 p.m., one at 10 p.m. 

10 a.m. - The incessant babbling of a toddler in bright yellow sunglasses delighting in the outside world on our walk around the neighborhood
1 p.m. - Quick and easy access to medicine for hives. These are the moments in which I remind myself that there are perks to living in a first world nation. 
10 p.m. - Celebrating how we are fearfully and wonderfully made as I watch the Olympic athletes

What are yours?

1 comment:

  1. thanks again for your link post. and yes it is so hard when we lose someone who we just dont know about or scarily do. its something i struggled with personally. but faith in God prevails and is so comforting. thankful that I dont have His big job as gatekeeper. and i hear you on walking alone at night, never was a fan of the dark. being a mother has opened my eyes to bigger pockets of worry and darkness. thank you for the reminder to believe.

    ReplyDelete